Thursday, January 16, 2014

My first "live set" - Part 2

Now that I've spent some time preparing for the show.   The basic set-up is going to involve launching patterns and pattern chains on the OctaTrack.   Muting and using the cross fader.   The OctaTrack will sync and switch patterns on the Machinedrum and the Monomachine.   This is basically what I've been doing for my live jam videos.

Modes

This live set is going to be pretty long.   I don't really have enough experience yet to do a full on many-hour jam session so I'd like to incorporate some songs that I've made in Ableton and Reason somehow.   After some experimenting, I thought of a few different modes of operation during the set:
  1. Straight playback - I'm doing this on the OctaTrack with a single static machine track, playing a long sample in a single slot.   The playback is started with a single one-shot trigger in a pattern.    I'd prefer to do the whole show with more active remixing, but I don't have enough stuff prepared for that.   Here's how it works:

    • An intro pattern that might play a loop of the song, and also have some accompaniment from the other devices.   If the tempo needs to change, I'll do it in this pattern.   Also, arm the one shot trigs!
    • The 'song' pattern.   One shot trig.
    • An outro pattern, maybe a loop of the song.   Avoid using the 'song' track, as I may want to start this while the main song is fading out.
  2. Remix - Start with drum, bass, keys, vox/fx stems from Ableton.   To conserve slots I sometimes use long slices, each pattern plays a different slice.    With this, I can use sample locks and parts to mix-and-match things.

    • For loops that are longer than 4 bars, use one-shot trigs and set loop mode on the samples (and the track).
    • For slice-loops, export stems that are the same length, where the loops are evenly spaced.
    • Select a purpose for each OT track, e.g. T1: drums, T2: bass, T3: synths/keys, T4: vox/fx.   If you've got 4 tracks, you can use T5-T8 for a different sample and crossfade between them, or mix-n-match with mutes.
  3. Parallel - Same as Remix, but add Machinedrum and Monomachine parts.   The cross fader is set up to fade between the samples and the MD/MNM, at least for the main tracks.

    • When using THRU tracks for the MD/MNM, setting up the cross fader simply setting the XMIN/XMAX on the appropriate OT tracks will do.   Although, you can also use Amp VOL to get pre-effects crossfading, which could be interesting.
    • When using 'direct AB/CD', assign the OT track volume for the sample tracks holding the scene button and assign the direct AB/CD volume in the mixer page, while holding the scene button.
  4. Pattern based - In this mode, the Machinedrum and Monomachine are the basis of the song.   Extensive tweaking and such can be done.

Catalog

One thing I realized pretty quickly is the importance of having a catalog of all of my songs so I can plan the set.  This is especially true for the Elektron gear, as all you have there are bank/pattern designations and some short 'kit'/'part' names.   Plus drive makes the situation worse, as it allows a large number of 'snapshots', which may or may not be organized in any sensible manner.  ;)

Currently I'm busy making a catalog of Monomachine/Machinedrum snapshot/pattern/kits including tempo, and key in a Google Drive spreadsheet.   Once that's done, I can move the patterns/kits using sysex send "pattern/kit" and (carefully) receiving that sysex into the live set snapshot in the desired pattern/kit slots.  Cataloging Ableton Live projects is much easier, as I tend to name the folder with the tempo in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment